Bacon & Eggs On Toast With Mashed Avacado
Our Australian Sister-In-Law showed us a tasty breakfast that we are really enjoying at the moment, so thought we’d share. It’s a pretty straight forward breakfast dish, but uses avacado instead of buttering the slices of bread to add a wonderful creamy texture and flavour, as well as being a good fat and superfood. It’s extremely simple to make, delicious and relatively healthy.
Our Sister-In-Law referes to it as smashed avo with bacon and eggs.
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 2 slices of bread
- 1 ripe avacado
- 2 eggs (fried or poached)
- 4 rashers of streaky bacon
- Pepper (no salt required)
- De-stone the ripe avacado and scrape out the flesh into a bowl and mash/ “smash” into a paste like texture.
- Heat a pan of water until ther is a rolling boil. Add a splash of white wine vinegar to set the eggs nicely.
- Grill your streaky bacon till crispy and golden.
- Crack your eggs into a ramakin and place into the simmering water that you have stirred to create the swirling effect.
- Toast your bread
- Paste the avacado onto the slices of bread.
- Remove the poached eggs from the water and drain on kitchen paper.
- Add the bacon and poached eggs.
- Season with pepper.
- Instead of the eggs, you could use feta cheese.
- You can spice up the dish with a little chilli.
This is a very simple and well known breakfast/ brunch dish that has the little twist of the “smashed” avacado that gives it an extra creamy texture.
Please share this with your friends and any staple go-to breakfast dishes that you enjoy.