Another quick tip and it’s a simple one, but sometimes quite difficult to pull off: How to make perfect rice every time. We got this tip from a Maylaysian friend of ours many years ago and it never fails to produce great rice.
Personally we always use Basmati rice, never long grain as we feel Basmati, although still fluffy and light at the end, has a slightly firmer texture which we like.
- We use about half a mug of rice per person.
- Pour into a saucepan and wash the rice. We change the water around 5 times in this process to see when the water becomes clear (or there abouts) then you know the starch has been washed out.
- Fill the saucepan with water again until it’s 1cm above the level of the rice.
- Heat the rice until the water seems to have disappeared and “holes” appear in the rice.
- Once the water been adsorbed, turn the heat off and put the lid on for 11-13 mins. This will give the rice time to steam and swell to make perfect, fluffy rice.
- Serve immediately or leave until ready. If the lid is kept on, it will not affect the rice.
Please share this tip and let us know of any of your fail-safe methods that you use in your kithcen on everyday recipes.