A lasagne is a classic dish that everyone loves and homemade is the only way to enjoy them, in our opinion. Everyone should have this recipe in their repertoire, so we are sharing a relatively simple, but very tasty version of the classic.
Ingredients (serves 8 or 6 hungry people)
- 500g of lean mince
- 2-4 Garlic cloves (size dependant)
- 1 medium onion
- I stick celery
- 1 large carrot
- 1 Courgette
- 10-12 Button Mushrooms
- Tbsn tomato purée
- Tin of chopped tomatoes – we use napolina
- Lasagne sheets
- plain flour
- Unsalted butter
- Semi skimmed milk
- herbs de Provence.
- Grated cheese
- Chop the onion and garlic.
- Heat a saucepan and add some oil.
- Sweat down the onions until they become translucent in appearance.
- Add the finely chopped garlic to the saucepan.
- Place the celery and carrot and cook for 5-8minutes.
- Add the courgette and mushrooms. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add meat and heat until cooked.
- Add a stock cube and Worcester sauce to taste.
- Add the tomato purée, and tinned tomatoes.
- Bring the sauce to the boil and then simmer until the sauce thickens.
Make a bechamel sauce
- Melt 50g of butter in a saucepan.
- Add the 50g of plain flour to the saucepan and stir till combined. Once complete continue to heat for approx. 2 mins.
- Add 500ml of milk gradually and continue stirring for another 5-10mins until the sauce thickens.
layering the baking tray
- Meat layer first
- Then a layer of pasta sheets
- Then bechamel sauce.
- Continue this until the tray is full. Add a final layer of grated cheese and freshly ground nutmeg.
- Place in the oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 45 mins until the top is golden brown and bubbling.
This is a relatively simple recipe to make and with the results being so delicious and tasty it will hopefully be a go to dish when you want a hearty, tasty dinner.
Please try and share this recipe. We’d love to see and hear on your results from this hearty, homemade dish.