Following from our The Best Roast Potatoes post last week, we are continuing to share those delicious side dishes that accompany the warming, comfort food recipes we love at this time of year. We also wanted to share a quick and simple recipe that incorporated our last post How To Make A Quick Cheese Sauce.
This is another favourite that sits brilliantly with warming comfort dishes and is extremely simple, tasty and delicious. It is loosely based on the Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall cauliflower cheese recipe from (aff link) River Cottage Every Day
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 50g of butter
- 50g of flour
- 600ml of milk
- 150g of cheese – mature cheddar, gruyere, stilton………there are many varieties to experiment with
- 60g of lardons
- Chop the cauliflower and broccoli into large florets.
- Par boil them until al-dente.
- Make a quick cheese sauce following our previous post How To Make A Quick Cheese Sauce
- Pour over your al-dente florets into a baking dish. We always use or trusty (Aff link) Mason Cash Baker Lane Rectangular Pie Dish, Grey/Cream, 20 x 31 x 7 cm
- Add the bacon lardons
- Place in the oven for 25-30 mins at 190 degrees celsius until golden on top.
Please share with us any other side dishes that you love to accompany those warming, hearty Autumnal recipes.