Here at Sophisticated Homes, we have recently decided to add a few additional posts to our blog to give some cookery, gardening and interior quick tips. Just little guides to hopefully help you along with your bigger recipes and projects.
The first quick tip is how to make a quick cheese sauce which is a great recipe to have to enhance and be a component part of a lot of other dishes. As always, we tend to do things by eye and feel in our kitchen, so have tried to put some measurements to it to help.
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 50g of Butter
- 50g of plain flour
- 600ml of milk
- 150g of cheese
- Melt the butter gently in the pan.
- Once the butter has melted, add the flour until it comes together as a paste.
- Add the milk, and keep stiring until you have a thin, creamy consistency. Use a whisk to eliminate any lumps.
- Add the variety of cheese you desire.(mature cheddar is great, but Stilton is nice as a twist).
- Keep stiring until the cheese is melted. Add more milk if it becomes too thick. This should take around 5 to 8 mins.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Addition of Nutmeg – depending on what cheese you use
- Different cheeses – Gruyere, Swiss, Cheddars, Stilton …..you can experiment with many varieties
- Cayenne pepper
- Cheese bakes
- Broccoli cheese
- Cauliflower cheese
- Cheesy leeks
Please share this quick tip if you found it useful. Also, let us know if you would like us to focus on a certain topic or process in the coming weeks.